birding-aus

Re: Origin of Melbourne's parrots

To: michael <>
Subject: Re: Origin of Melbourne's parrots
From: Michael John Ramsey <>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:48:07 +1000 (EST)
I regularly observe Scaly-brested Lorikeets around the Bundoora area.
Small numbers are usually seen with Musk or Rainbow Lorikeets around
flowering trees, or in flight overhead. I agree with the theory that the
planting of many native tree species in the suburbs has provided parrots,
especially Lorikeets with suitable habitat. At La Trobe University in
Bundoora I have observed five Lorikeet species. Rainbow and Musk are
always quite common, for example a flock of over 100 Musk Lorikeets seen
in flowering eucalypts during June. Scaly-brested Lorikeets are regular
but not common. Little Lorikeet has been observed only a few times and
Purple-crowned only twice. Port Lincoln (Australian ) Ringnecks have been
reported around the University but I have not seen them. Other parrots
seen at the University include: Galah
                                Long-billed Corella
                                Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
                                Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo
                                Gang-gang Cockatoo
                                Cockatiel (probable escapee)
                                Eastern Rosella
                                Crimson Rosella
                                Australian King-parrot
                                Red-rumped Parrot

Michael Ramsey
Bundoora, Vic

P.S It was me who wrote the Point Cook Trip Report, sorry I did not sign
my name.