birding-aus

Re: Origin of Melbourne's parrots

To: hillier lab <>
Subject: Re: Origin of Melbourne's parrots
From: Peter Menkhorst <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:17:51 -0812 (UTC)
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:01:08 +0000 hillier lab
<> wrote:
> I also realise that a number of the birds seen in central melbourne
>(most of the parrots) are probably escapees but that becomes a more
>troublesome decision on inclusion and non-inclusion.
>                                                       Best Wishes

John,
why assume that most of the parrots in Melbourne are escapees? I presume you
meant 'are derived from escapees' but I question even that. Red-rumped Parrots,
Eastern and Crimson Rosellas, Galahs, Gang Gangs, Sulphur-crested Cockies,
Long-billed Corellas, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos,  Musk, Little,
Purple-crowned and Rainbow Lories are all naturally occuring in this part of
the
world and have successfully adapted to suburban and even city environments.

In the case of the rosellas and lorikeets this is a fairly recent and
rapidly-progressing phenomenon, and a wonderful and welcome example of
colonisation of new habitat. Presumably, the maturation of the widespread
planting of Australian trees and shrubs in the 1960s and 1970s has assisted
this
process.

The Scaly-breasted Lori is a moot point. It is not beyond belief that a natural
colonisation event by this highly mobile species has occurred - it occurs
naturally
well south of Sydney. This species intermingles with Rainbow Lories (and
inter-breeds in both Sydney and Melbourne), so perhaps some individuals moved
south around the coast with a flock of Rainbows. Lorikeets are not commonly
kept by aviculturalists and I'm not aware of many captive birds in Melbourne.

The only species I'm aware of with populations in Melbourne which are clearly
feral (ie derived from captive or domestic poulations) are Australian Ringneck
(race zonarius) and Pale-headed Rosella. In both these cases I have heard of no
sightings for some time - has anyone else obtained any recent records?

Peter Menkhorst
Senior Wildlife Policy Officer
Flora and Fauna Branch,
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
PO Box 500
East Melbourne Vic 3002.
phone: 03 9412 4288      fax: 03 9412 4586