birding-aus

Spotless Crake

Subject: Spotless Crake
From: Nicolette Thompson <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:32:43 -0700
On both Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (16th & 17th) of this week I had
excellent views of three Spotless Crakes as they fed in and out of the reeds on
the far
side of Buckley's Hole on Bribie Island. Both mornings they fed around the base
of the
reeds and along the muddy edges for approximately 20-30 minutes. This was early
- 6.00
to 6.30 am.  On Tuesday evening there was one Crake in the reeds just in front
of the
hide but I  only had glimpses of it.  The "Birds of Bribie Island, Pumicestone
Passage
and Environs" Eds: Beverley Durant & Ian Macrae, list Spotless Crakes as very
rare in
the area, so I thought the birders in the south-east of Queensland,
particularly, may be
 interested.

                Nicci Thompson.