birding-aus

RE: 4WDs on beaches - Request for Information

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RE: 4WDs on beaches - Request for Information
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 11:56:07 +1000
>       Not all 4wdrivers trash beaches. I know the relevant parts of
> the Coorong
> are closed to 4wds during the Hooded Plover breeding season.

Devil's advocate here ....

Is it enough to close beaches to 4WDs during the Hoodies breeding season
but use their foraging habitat as a road for the rest of the year?  I
don't know the answer, but it strikes me that harrying the birds year
round & giving them a short break to breed is a rather odd conservation
strategy, albeit a commonly adopted one.

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

http://yarra.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/painted.html
http://www.xnet.com/~ugeiser/Birds/TripReports/JavaBali96.html

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and not
those of either the Museum of Victoria or the Victorian Government.