birding-aus

Re: BLASTING FERALS

Subject: Re: BLASTING FERALS
From: Shane Raidal <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:17:17 +0900
At 09:21 AM 8/22/97 +0000, you wrote:
>What's all this about KILLING birds, even if they are Collared Doves?
>There seems to be a redneck contingent out there who want to destroy
>animals. This blast anything feral trip agrivates me. Why don't you
>travel back in time and blast the men who made the ferals widespread.
>Birdos shouldn't be about killing birds. CONSERVATION. Where's the
>tangible proof that Collared Doves are ruining things for native birds?

I thought conservation was about acting as custodians to the environment.
Sure the doves may not be causing a problem currently and indeed it may
only be a perceived threat that they could in the future impact on native
birds.  Nevertheless the decision has to be made now to remove such
introduced species before they become truly established.  Otherwise we all
learn to live with them, in the same way that we all have to accept that
rabbits and foxes have displaced a considerable number of native species.
The decision is a political one - but it has to be made now.

>And Glen Ingram... I'm not going to tell any Gov. people to kill off
>animals. How inhumane is that?

Should we ban peregrines because they kill other birds? Anyway this is not
the issue.  The birds should be removed from the environment before they
can become too established.  They could be trapped  and sent to loving
aviculturists.....

Shane Raidal