birding-aus

old Masked Lapwing

Subject: old Masked Lapwing
From: Eric J Woehler <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 15:05:51 +1000
I have a couple of pairs of Masked Lapwings that nest on the grounds here
at work.

One pair has started nesting, and as of lunchtime today, 2 eggs were
present. Checking records of observations over the last 10 years or so, 3
chicks were present on 15 August 1988.

An interesting aspect of these birds is that one male was banded as a
breeding adult (ie 1+) on 29 October 1986. This bird is still alive and
breeding. He is starting to show his age - a slightly drooping wing that he
is unable to bring up into the 'normal' resting position. He has had this
condition for several years, and every year I think that each breeding
season will be his last, but he proves me wrong on an annual basis!

Based on the most recent ABBBS annual report, the Scheme has a longevity
record of 9 years for Masked Lapings - this male must be at least 12 years
of age.

have a good weekend
Eric