birding-aus

FW: Spring Migrants

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: Spring Migrants
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 18:09:00 PDT

Paul

 I believe Scarlet Honeyeaters are more so nomadic rather than migratory
as like lorikeets and may honeyeaters, they generally follow the
availability of flowering trees and shrubs.In my past 9 years of series
birdwatching, I have seen them in most years in Sydney during winter
(however though usually in smaller numbers than in Spring-Summer).

I have seen the birds regularly wintering in Sydney areas such as the
Royal National Park and Doonside in Western Sydney as there is often
Eucalyptus in flower during winter at these locations.

In the Spring-summer season, they can in some years be often abundant
(eg) last year that time,  just about every birding location  I visited
in Sydney, I could see or hear them. In 1993 there was a great influx in
Sydney and they could be seen in many of Sydney's suburbs.

Often some other species which are more commonly seen in summer,
regularly winter here such as Golden and Horsfield's Broze cuckoo's,
Rufous Whistler, Restless Flycatcher's (several this winter in western
Sydney) and Dusky Woodswallows.

Regarding the Dollarbird, I think that is quite an early record
especially if such species has migrated from PNG.

Has anyone seen any Martins yet?

Latham's Snipe should be here within a couple of weeks aswell as other
migratory waders.Looking forward to Spring!!!!
Happy birding

Edwin Vella