birding-aus

SOS - owl kills

Subject: SOS - owl kills
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 15:12:42 +1000 (EST)
John Wren from Bowen (200km south of Townsville) rang me asking if
anyone on the birdline can help solve the problem of owl kills on rail
lines.

As well as being a birder he drives freight trains for QRail: most
nights he encounters owls resting on the line ahead and on one
particular night 8 owls and nightjars (various species) were seen of
which 4 were killed as he can't stop 6000 tonnes of freight on a sixpence.
Other drivers have approached him to see if anything can be done.

I was wondering if owls respond to sonics?  Out west many vehicles are
fitted with roo-shoo devices which emit a sonic frequency when the engine
is turned on; which seems to be successful in cutting down road kills (and
damage to cars).  Does anyone have any suggestions how the rail kill can
be avoided; so that I can pass it on to Queensland Rail?

Thanks for your time.