birding-aus

Re: Laughing turtle doves

Subject: Re: Laughing turtle doves
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:55:54 +0800

Robert Davis  asked about Laughing
Turtle-Doves.

> Does anybody out there know of the exact range
> of these birds in WA and any details of their
> original introduction. Also, are they common
> in other states as well?

Ron Johnstone (email??  at the WA Museum would
know.  I have seen them as far from Perth as Mt Magnet, Esperance, etc. As
far as I know in Australia they are restricted to Western Australia.  The
other states only have Spotted Turtle-Doves.

I read an article very recently about all the introduced birds in WA, but I
have forgotten where I read it.  The West Australian? WA Bird Notes?
Wingspan? The Bird Observer?  The article gave full details of dates,
people, etc.  I remember that some species were introduced via the Perth
Zoo (in the early 1920s????).  The article may have been an obituary of a
former director/curator/whatever of the Perth Zoo.

PS : On a different subject, there are still 3 places available on the
Perth pelagic boat trip this Sunday (20th). Contact me (home email
 to reserve a place.  The September 14th trip has
been booked out.  Further trips will be organised from May 1998.

All the best,
Frank