birding-aus

Sydney Pelagic Trip Report 14th December 1996

Subject: Sydney Pelagic Trip Report 14th December 1996
From: (Tony Palliser)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 17:53:43 +1100
SYDNEY, NSW PELAGIC TRIP REPORT  14th December 1996

Trip Summary:

Its the time of year for cookalaria petrels once again, this trip being no
exception with 5 Gould's Petrel.  We have grown to expect rarities on every
trip this year and again we were not let down.  I put it down to Pete's
ability at forming  an oil slick from the sharks liver on board.  We headed
25.3 NM East from Sydney to an area affectionately known as 33'.50 / 151'.45
and chummed for almost 2 hours in the one spot, producing lots of storm
petrels, albatross, Buller's Shearwater and one very confiding Black-winged
Petrel being the bird of the trip and another major rarity, much to the
delight of the many visitors on board.

Conditions:

Fine, 1-2 metre swell.
10-15 knot changeable winds predominantly from the South East.
Water temperature 20.5C once beyond the shelf.
Departed at 7.30 am and returned at 3.00 pm.
Reached 25 Nautical Miles E of Sydney Heads.

Those on Board:

Chris Bell, Keith Brandwood, Alan Ford, Mike Hunter, Roger McGovern, Bill
McLean, Alan Obrart, Pete Milburn, Phil Murray, Tony Palliser,  John Reidy,
Malcolm Roxby, Parveen Seehra, David Siems, David Sudaby, Tab Shimba, Mike
Tannis and Richard Yank.

BIRD LIST

Wandering Albatross  (4)
Shy Albatross  (2)
Great-winged Petrel  (100+) Many in heavy moult
Gould's Petrel  (5)
BLACK-WINGED PETREL (1)
Flesh-footed Shearwater   (20+)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater   (60+)
Sooty Shearwater  (6)
Short-tailed Shearwater  (350+)
BULLER'S SHEARWATER (4)
Fluttering Shearwater  (10+)
Hutton's Shearwater  (4)
Wilson's Storm-Petrel  (10-20)
White-faced Storm Petrel  (5-7)
Pomarine Jaeger (8)
Arctic Jaeger  (4)
Long-tailed Jaeger  (3)
Silver Gull  (30+)  In the harbour
Crested Tern  (5+)
Australasian Pelican  (2) In the harbour
Little-pied Cormorant (2) In the harbour
Little-black Cormorant (2) In the harbour
Great Cormorant (1) In the harbour

MAMMAL LIST

Common Dolphin  (20+)
Bottle-nosed Dolphin (50+)

The next trips planned are from Wollongong on Sunday 26th January 1997  and
from Sydney on Saturday 11th January 1997.  Places are still available. To
make a
booking or find out more contact  either:   (Milburn)
or  (Tony Palliser )