birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoo

Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoo
From: "Michael Powell" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:33:00 +1000
Queensland must be  in for a big Wet this summer!

It's the first time in ages that I have seen Channel - billed
Cuckoo's in my inner city Brisbane suburb.
 A pair have been around for a week now, and have
taken a fancy to a large pine tree, usually home to crows,and
magpies.

They have offended these local birds and spend most of the time in
the tree, fending off attacks, but they are reluctant to budge.
They must be threatening their nests in an attempt to breed.
 They are calling raucously by day from as early as 3am.

They are a spectacular bird at rest, especially the very red eye skin,
, the large curved bill, and long banded tail.

Flight is strong, straight, and fast with long tail prominent, and
with somewhat pointed wings.

Cheers
Mike

Michael Powell