birding-aus

re:Kim Lim's comment on BOPPAS trip

Subject: re:Kim Lim's comment on BOPPAS trip
From: IAN MAC RAE <>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:39:40 +1000
On 20/11/96  Kim Lim wrote:

>"BOPPAS for short, or "Bird Observers of Pumicestone Passage and Surrounds"
>went to Conondale, Bouloumba Creek and Little Yabba Creek for their regular
>fortnightly outing on Monday 18th. For the BOPPAS which are centred around
>Bribie Island and Caloundra"
It would be helpful, to say the least, if readers could be given some clue
as to where these areas are (I'm guessing its somewhere in Central
Queensland.....)
Thanks!
Kim

Hi Kim:
Bad guess - no prize given.
Bribie Island is the northernmost of the three islands enclosing Moreton Bay
and is 1hour drive north of Brisbane. Caloundra, a beautiful Sunshine Coast
town is about 1.5h drive from Brisbane. Conondale lies between Maleny and
Kenilworth in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. Access to both Bouloomba State
Forest and Little Yabba Creek is from the Conondale - Kenilworth Road.
Charlie Moreland National Park is also off this road - no further north than
Lamington is south of Brisbane. What a shame you did not travel a little
further north of Brisbane on your recent trip to SE Qld., -- maybe next time?
Cheers,
Ian MacRae