birding-aus

Birds On Farms Project

Subject: Birds On Farms Project
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:00:15 +1000
I agree with Shane Raidal about the positive impact that the RAOU's Birds On
Farms
Project is having on the attitude of farmers and other members of the
community. For
instance, many farmers have volunteered their farms for regular bird surveys to
be
carried out for the project, but are either too busy or not knowledgeable
enough to
conduct the surveys themselves. These farms are matched up with experienced
bird-watchers who conduct the surveys. It is a great symbiosis because both the
farmer
and the (usually) urban-based bird-watcher learn about each other's aspirations
and
limitations, as well as learning about birds and their habitats.

The RAOU is learning a lot from this project as well. The latest RAOU
Conservation
Statement (No. 10) highlights the major conservation problems in sheep and
wheatbelt
areas of southern Australia and suggests that one action that is needed
urgently is to
fence off certain areas from sheep, cattle rabbit and other introduced
herbivores to
allow the vegetation to naturally regenerate. Farmers are responding by saying
that they
agree and are willing to put up the fencing if others supply the materials. The
RAOU is
slowly identifying important areas that could potentially be fenced off,
through surveys
like Birds On Farms, the Australian Bird Count Project, Birds in Hollows
Project and
other survey projects. However, I would like to hear about other rural sites
that you
feel are worthy of further ornithological investigation because of their
importance to
bird conservation. You should direct this information to me at my personal
email address
rather than across birding-aus to maintain confidentiality of information.

Meanwhile, if you wish to take part in the Birds On Farms Project (we are still
looking
for more farm sites and volunteers), get in touch with Geoff Barrett on 03 9882
2622
during normal working hours.

Happy birding,

Dr Stephen Ambrose