birding-aus

Darwin Mangroves

Subject: Darwin Mangroves
From: Alan McBride <>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:42:52 +1100
Greetings,

You may all remember that I posted the following notice some months back. I
was recently in Darwin and Denise Goodfellow tells me that the mangrove
destruction is set to move along more rapidly than it was when I first
posted this. Any further letters of support ANYBODY care towrite to Denise
will be acknowledged and very gratefully received by the birds of Darwin -
to say nothing of the crocs and mossies and sandflies, ..... hmmmm where was
I? Oh yes, please help teh mangroves by writing to Denise with your letters
of support from anywhere in the world. I wrote for the Spotted Owl a few
years back - it's your turn now.....

Thanks

Alan

>X-From_:   Mon Sep 30 19:56:49 1996
>Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 19:51:19 +1000
>From: Alan McBride <>
>Subject: Darwin Mangroves
>
>Birders of the World Unite.....
>
>Over the last twelve months I have had several conversations with Deneise
>Goodfellow in Darwin about the mangorve habitat surrounding Darwin. Denise
>is a ardent conservationist who lives in Darwin and has had many wonderful
>and varied experiences there.  She is a mine of information on the birds,
>reptiles, herps and also has been adopted by the Aborigines in the Territory
>in that she has her own Aboriginal "family".
>
>Denise tells me this week that there are plans afoot and that practically
>ALL the mangroves between Darwin and Palmerston 15 km inland are to be
>removed. This will include places such as Middle Arm and Berry Springs.
>
>Birders from all over the world have birded these mangroves in the quest for
>such gems as Chestnut Rail (gettable fo anyone who wishes to stand up to
>their knees in mud:-) ), Mangrove Golden Whistler, now rare in Darwin but
>around Stuart park still, Mangrove Robin - around Stuart Park, and many more
>such as: Gt Billed Heron; Collared Kingfisher; Little Kingfisher; Mangrove
>Gerygone; Red-headed Honeyeater; White-breasted Whistler; Mangrove Fantail;
>Yellow White-eye and Black Butcherbird. Birds that feed on and in the
>mangroves around the mudflats as well as above them such as Osprey, Rainbow
>Pitta, Orange-footed Scrubfowl, Little Shrike-thrush and Little
>Bronze-cuckoo will also  be affected.
>
>Denise would appreciate letters of support from anyone who has visited or
>intends to visit Darwin and indeed any concerned persons around the world.
>Birding tours make up a good portion of tourists to Darwin as well as single
>visitors, so any letters from groups, or tour operators would be especially
>welcomed.
>
>I suggest a "To Whom It May Concern" style of letter care of Denise
>Goodfellow, P O Box 39373, WINNELLIE, NT 0821, Australia.
>
>Winnellie is a major Darwin suburb just near the airport, if you've been to
>Darwin you've been to Winnellie:-)
>
>Denise will be extremely grateful for any support as she often feels she is
>fighting losing battles up there.....

Double thanks

*********************************
Alan McBride