birding-aus

Harvesting wild birds...

Subject: Harvesting wild birds...
From: (Shane Raidal)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:31:54 +0800
If Venom Supplies wants to be objective about harvesting wild birds for
commercial purposes then maybe they could explain how they would develop a
management plan to ensure that the welfare of the trapped birds is at the
highest possible standard?  How would the impact of the activities on the
bird (and other animal and plant species) be monitored and who by?   I agree
that we need to value our native fauna and yes there would be ways of
harvesting so-called pest native species on agricultural properties.  Maybe
this would encourage more farmers to plant more trees and fence off areas of
remnant natural vegetation.

I agree in principle that the taking and hand-rearing of  "pest species"
chicks would be preferable to the continuing wanton destruction of these
birds in agricultural areas.  They still shoot black cockatoos in WA!
However, harvesting activities would not in any way reduce the huge flocks
of galahs (for example) that are perceived to be a threat to the grain
growers.  The only reason for allowing such activities would be to change
the attitude of farmers.....  and maybe there are better ways to do this.
The RAOU birds on farm surveys have made a positive impact in this respect.

The management of such harvesting projects needs to be well-thought out and
not based on a rape and pillage mentality so familar with past agricultural
practices.

I could elborate about the medical problems of wild-caught nestlings birds
at a later date if there is sufficient interest (and bandwidth).

Dr Shane Raidal BVSc PhD MACVSc (Avian Health)
Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology
School of Veterinary Studies
Murdoch University                 phone:  +61 9 360 2418
Perth,WA, 6150                            fax:  +61 9 310 4144
Australia