birding-aus

Re: Listing dilemma - Imagine this...

Subject: Re: Listing dilemma - Imagine this...
From: (Andrew Taylor)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 20:21:28 +1100 (EST)
> A cable TV station which has 24-hour coverage of wild places. ...

Technology creates other dilemmas for listkeepers. A couple
of years ago I was in the US and phoned home new years eve.  In the
background I heard a Silvereye call.  Now some of us list heard-only
species and surely a telephone is a birding aid not too different
to binoculars which creates a dilemma.

I don't have any dilemma re:geography - I would be silly to put the
Silvereye on my US list.  However it was still December 31 1993 in the
US but January 1st 1994 in Australia.  Does the Silvereye go on my 1993
list or on my 1994 list?

Fortunately I'm too lazy to keep year lists.

Andrew