birding-aus

RE: AUSTRALIAN SMUGGLING AND WILDLIFE CRIME WEBSITE

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: AUSTRALIAN SMUGGLING AND WILDLIFE CRIME WEBSITE
From: "CONOLE, Lawrie" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:40:00 +1000
>> Its hard to take this sort of thing seriously but we all know many birds
>> are captured in the wild and smuggled overseas.  I have no doubt there is
>> a level of corruption in the wildlife agencies policing our laws (as their
>> is in any law enforcement agency) but this mob seem to think the agencies
>> are the prime cause of the smuggling problem.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  It's a bit scary.  Why is it
that the language of the lunar right is so stereotyped; regardless of
whether they are carping on white supremacism, or creationism, or any
other *ism?  It took me a minute to get to the heart of the matter, but
it's clearly about the new regulations requiring aviculturalists to
register rare/foreign birds with ANCA.  Obviously ANCA is part of the
evil GREEN/ZIONIST/RED conspiracy to rule the world, although I'd have
thought the UN rather than ANCA would be the ruling body!!!

>> "The RED-VENTED BULBUL and the HILL MYNA are in such large numbers in the
>> wild that they, along with many others, are listed as supplementary birds
>> in the RAOU publication - Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia and
>> its Territories."

Clearly the guy didn't actually READ Christidis & Boles, otherwise he'd
have FOUND OUT what the SUPPLEMENTARY LIST is all about.  The Hill Myna
had a small, now EXTINCT population on Christmas Island (I think); and
the Red-vented Bulbul populations in Melbourne are now well gone as far
as I KNOW. There are still ODD records of RVBs around SOUTH YARRA, but
they're probably aviary ESCAPEES (??).  I haven't got my C&B handy, but
I thought Zebra Dove (Geopelia striata) and Peaceful Dove (G. placida)
were SEPARATE SPECIES now.

 Lawrie Conole                  Collection Valuation Project Officer
 Museum of Victoria             Strategic Collection Management
 GPO Box 666E                   phone (03) 9 669 9732
 Melbourne, VIC 3001            fax   (03) 9 663 3669
 AUSTRALIA                      send