birding-aus

Re: RFI: recipe for pelagic birds

Subject: Re: RFI: recipe for pelagic birds
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: 16 Jul 96 16:13:13 +1000
Hi Kim,
I just copied this out of the Pelagic Web Page which you might find
useful.

Suet Offcuts

Suet (Fat offcuts from butcher shops) is easily obtained and will work
well with many shearwaters and albatross species particularly in the
winter months and in Southern Oceans. Ideally used in combination with
fish offcuts and thrown over the back of the boat while moving,
providing a continuous stream of birds behind the boat.

Pilchards

Again easily available (at least in Australia) from most fishing tackle
outlets, usually frozen in small boxes. Chopped up and thrown over the
back of the boat in small quantities it can work particularly well
especially if the birds are hungry and again in Southern Oceans. For
some reason it doesn't seem to always work well in tropical or even sub
tropical waters. Good for shearwaters, albatross and Pterodroma's

Tuna Oil

Usually available from fishing tackle outlets. The smallest bottles
start at 1 litre which is usually enough for one trip. Used
particularly for attracting storm petrels. After stopping the boat
simply pour a little over the side. If storm petrels are around they
will soon appear. This does not normally get them to come close enough
for photography though and is not always successful.

Sharks Liver

Can be difficult to obtain. Ask your local fishermen for advise on
how to get it. This wet cement like material is always good and has an
outstanding result. I have on several occasions seen Albatross land on
the back of the boat in an attempt to get at it first. Again its just
a matter of cutting it in to small pieces and throwing over the back of
the boat. The smell and can be difficult to remove from your hands and
clothes though.

Pop corn soaked in fish oil

I have heard that this works well in the Northern hemisphere however
we have tried this on a number of occasions and had very dissappointing
results.

Regards
Tony Palliser  (Sydney, Australia)
Phone   +61 2 9900 1678 or +61 2 4277563
Fax     +61 2 9900 1669
Email    or
        http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser