birding-aus

The Three Twits

Subject: The Three Twits
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 95 22:33:19
Hi everyone

For the Twitchathon, Chris Shinton, John Harding and myself formed a team:
The Three Twits.  We also had a special theme - we all live in Concord
(Sydney, NSW) and restricted ourselves to the Concord Municipality.  For those
of you who don't know, Concord is 14 kilometres from the Sydney GPO, and
EXCLUDES Homebush Bicentennial Park.

We thought it would be interesting to do our own "backyard" and see what we
could get in a "normal day in a normal suburb".   Though it was hardly normal
to get thoroughly drenched and pelted by hailstones.  Spotlighting at 5.00
p.m. because it was so dark?!!

Well,  we got 61 species for the Twitchathon, including what we think is a
first for Concord:  a Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo turned up on the Sunday
morning.   Two out of three Twits had not seen Sacred Kingfishers or
Yellow-rumped Thornbills in the Municipality before, yet there they were.  The
Jacky Winters were not at their normal place, but we found a new location for
them.   A Striated Heron brazenly flew out in the open, chasing away a
White-faced Heron.

The Wood Ducks normally at the golf course failed us.

I know that 61 species ain't much compared to the other teams, but considering
our theme of restricting ourselves to our own municipality, we were very
pleased with the result.

Regards,
Irene Denton
Sydney    NSW