birding-aus

Re: Bird Listing Areas

Subject: Re: Bird Listing Areas
From: (Iain D Campbell)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 14:07:38 +0800
>Following on recent postings on listing areas, I thought it might be
>useful to let people know what the ABA Listing Regions are and to make
>some other suggestions on useful lists for Australian birders.

John,

Do they count the Phillippines as Australasia or Asia? I would have thought
that  Madagascar, and even more so the Comoros, would have been part of
Africa. The perentage of endemism on Madagascar is not higher than on
Sulawesi or New Zealand, so why would it be distinct yet the others are
lumped into the Australasian region?

I apologise to any zoogeographers if it appears like a stupid question.

As for list areas; if we count our territories on our Australian list(for
no other reason than to bump it up), then shouldn't we also count the
Australian Antartic Territory? We could be really clever and go birding in
the disputed part of our Antartic Territory and also get the birds on our
Chile list without even going there!

Iain D Campbell
Regolith geologist/geochemist                               (ph) 61 9 387 0737
CSIRO Division of Exploration and Mining                    (ah) 61 9 443 1668
Private bag 1                                              (fax) 61 9 387 0146
WEMBLEY WA 6014