birding-aus

Re: Bird Listing Areas

Subject: Re: Bird Listing Areas
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 09:54:00 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Russell Woodford wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> I suggest we follow the following American Birding Association areas,
> given that a number of us also report totals to the American Birding
> Association.  I also note the thresholds for each list/area:
> World(1400)
> Does that mean they don't recognise anyone with less than 1400 on their
> world list?  What about if they have an Australian list of say,650, but
> have not been outside the country? Does that mean this is not recognised?
> And what does ABA recognition entail?
>
> More info, please!

Russell,
If a birder had an Australian List of 650, and a World List of the same
650, under ABA procedures, he/she would be eligible to put in a report
for the Australian list, since 650 exceeds the threshold for that list;
but could not put in a World total since 650 is below the 1400 threshhold
for that list.

The main issue is what lists we use and how they are defined.  We can use
different thresholds if we want, but since many of us also report to the
American Birding Association, it would be sensible that we we share lists
with the ABA, we should use the same threshholds.

John Penhallurick