pwc

[pwc] Capturing frames from two cameras synchronously

Subject: [pwc] Capturing frames from two cameras synchronously
From: "Stanisław Szymczyk" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:21:36 +0100
Hello

I'm trying to use two Logitech Orbit / Sphere cameras to do some 3D
computer vision research. I need to get images from them synchronously
- I mean capturing frames from two cameras exactly at the same time.

I did some research and found in documentation for v4l2 API that
"VIDIOCMCAPTURE ioctl returns the frame is not captured yet, the
driver just instructed the hardware to start the capture", so I
thought it would be easy by issuing VIDIOCMCAPTURE on both cameras and
retrieving frames by using VIDIOCSYNC later. However it looks like
it's not the case with PWC driver with it's clever asynchronous
queueing. I'm experiencing time difference of about 1 frame between
cameras (with 10 fps it's quite a while).

I have three questions:

1. Is there any way to force synchronous frame retrieval in PWC?

2. If no, is there a way to force synchronous frame retrieval
generally in this camera?

3. Does anyone have any data about this camera (Logitech Orbit /
Sphere) internals? I mean PCB photos, schematic (guess I'm dreaming)
etc...

Thanks for your time

Stanislaw Szymczyk