pwc

Re: [pwc] semi-OT - cam recommendation?

To: Luis Delgado de Mendoza Garcia <>
Subject: Re: [pwc] semi-OT - cam recommendation?
From: Roman Haefeli <>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:32:52 +0100
hi luis

thank you very much for that hint. i would never have found that out on
my own ;-)

i am not sure, if it is possible at all, but i wonder if there's a way
to switch off all that automated stuff like whitebalance, shutter speed
and automatic gain and set it to fixed values. whitebalance was easy
from the beginning, but i still found no options for the other two
parameters. i am using this cam for an artistic project, where the cam
has a fixed position and frames from different times are compared. this
comparison only gives meaningful results, when no automation is involved
in the picture. by googling around, i found that this cam (spc900nc) is
often used by astronomers and i assumed that for them using the camera
in a scientific context, similar criteria are important (but i don't
know, if they also use gnu/linux, of course)

i just want to add, that i have acces to a windows box, where the
original proprietary driver of this cam is installed. just in case that
would be helpful for the further developing of the pwc-driver, i would
be glad to help. i am not a c-coder, though, my help would be limited to
provide some information about how the cam works on windows. if i am
talking bullshit here (cause i actually don't know, how such driver for
hardware with no open specs is developed), forget the last sentence.

best
roman