4. Re: Lesser birds

Subject: 4. Re: Lesser birds
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:05 pm ((PST))
With respect to Dan=92s comment: In a viable habitat, while bioacoustic per=
formances in a state of dynamic equilibrium will express themselves with si=
milar context and content (the baseline), they are always in a state of flu=
x and will never chorus exactly the same way twice (variable).

The organisms in sustainable habitats are always testing and jockeying for =
optimum performance within their acoustic niches given all the factors at p=
lay in the health of those environments (time of day/night, season, weather=
, etc).

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-327-6771
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: Bernie Krause
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_n=
atural_world?language=3Den

> On Dec 24, 2019, at 8:37 PM, Bernie Krause <> wrot=
e:

> Well said, John. I particularly like your existential shift from "I am li=
stening to that" to "I belong to that; I am that.=94 Way cool and an excell=
ent reminder of who we are at a time when we most need it.

> Of course, we could justify that the whole study of soundscape ecology is=
 so new as to be arbitrary with vastly different and often contradictory ap=
proaches being considered, peer reviewed, and published=85all claiming some=
 measure of validity and all, taken together, probably containing some germ=
 of a collective truth or truths yet to be determined or revealed.

> I brought up the issue of =93baseline=94 not so much as a concrete static=
 beginning metric (since there are so many different recording paradigms th=
at would generate dissimilar outcomes), but rather, because it is a current=
 subject for discussion between academics as a point to consider. For examp=
le, the effect(s) of global  heating as they shape density, diversity and r=
ichness of biophonies that are changing so rapidly. There=92s obviously muc=
h more to this subject. Just a nascent thought, though.

_natural_world?language=3Den <https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_v=
oice_of_the_natural_world?language=3Den>

>>> On Dec 23, 2019, at 5:19 AM, John Crockett  <mai=
lto:> [naturerecordists] <=
ps.com <>> wrote:

>>> Has "baseline" ever been anything but arbitrary? The only true baseline=
 (if I am up on my cosmology) is non-existence. I have heard spiritual teac=
hers and guides use that as an excuse for ignoring the biodiversity crisis =
and "accepting" destructive human behavior. Everything dies, so annihilatio=
n must be natural, right? In any event, my baseline--the world I was born i=
nto 60 years ago--is gone and likely not recoverable.

>>> I appreciate Gianni's reflection here. One of the possible benefits of =
listening to (in) natural soundscapes is that visceral shift of perspective=
 from "I am listening to that" to "I belong to that; I am that." That, for =
me at least, is a powerful motivator to change behavior, to nurture the soi=
l, to foster diverse habitats, to give the land space and time to thrive, a=
nd to withdraw consent from global shopping and shipping and exploitation.=

>>> I always hope that sharing soundscape recordings opens that door for pe=
ople to enter the soundscape for themselves, to start listening in a way th=
ey have not done before, to experience that sense of belonging to the richn=
ess of a particular natural environment. That's the hope anyway.

lto:> [naturerecordists] wrote:

> [...]
vents changing consequences so rapidly, what constitutes baseline data, now=
?

lto:> [naturerecordists] <=
s.com <>> wrote:

> [...]
lso here, in Italy. We have to completely rethink our societal development =
and understand that our life and our health and also our happiness depends =
on nature.. Now we also have understood (too late and not enough) that also=
 our climate depends on nature and that any impact we produce on the biosph=
ere has an impact on our own lives and even more on future generations. Sou=
ndscapes reflect habitat quality, richness, and diversity. Raquel Carson wa=
s a pioneer. Silent springs are now a sad reality.
nd that our health and happiness depend more on the health of nature than o=
n the size of our tv or on what we can buy on amazon.

:> [naturerecordists] <=
m <>> ha scritto:

> [...]
clean air and water, flood control, aquifer recharge, and much more.

band.net> [naturerecordists] wrote:

> [...]
 unmanaged woodland, hollow logs, permanent wetlands, meadows. Preferably a=
ll of the above within a small area. If you have a garden that is a good pl=
ace to start.

ups.com <>> wrote:

> [naturerecordists] < <mailto:=

aside habitually. Reading about the declining bird population and the stori=
es of their lack of presence at places where we=92d expect to hear them is =
a nightmare come to life.
a way I could help and make a bigger difference than just recycling, compos=
ting and riding or walking as oppose to driving. It doesn=92t seem sufficie=
nt enough.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: