SASS - Boundary Surface Question

Subject: SASS - Boundary Surface Question
From: inetd_conf
Date: Sun May 27, 2018 2:12 pm ((PDT))
I finally got around to building a travel SASS. (Thanks again for the excel=
lent write-up on your site, Vicki!) I made it out of recycled shipping foam=
 that has the same consistency as a yoga block. 35mm thick, and I managed t=
o snarf tons of the stuff from a shipment we received at work.

 I remember on the DIY Stereo Boundary Microphone Blog, in the comparison b=
etween your SASS Lite and the SASS-P with MKH-20 mics, that Rob Danielson m=
entioned that the softer surface of the SASS Lite might have rolled off the=
 LF sooner than if it had had a harder surface. How critical is this?

 The reason I'm asking is that I can apply a hard surface to the foam SASS =
I just built by using lamination plastic, similar to the wing surfaces on a=
 foam RC airplane. But is it enough to have a hard surface like this, or do=
es the hard layer have to have some mass to it, similar to the aircraft ply=
wood SASS I built several years ago?

 Thanks,

 Tom