Re: Help with underwater identification please

Subject: Re: Help with underwater identification please
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Feb 3, 2018 7:15 am ((PST))
Yup! But I=92m guessing that the article is mistaken in that perhaps the sn=
apping shrimp (sometimes called pistol shrimp), a bit under 4 cm in length,=
 and part of the Alpheidae family, is probably louder vis a vis size. Under=
water the snapping shrimp will generate an impulse signal of around 200dB r=
e 1micro Pascal, which is equivalent to firing off a .357 Magnum pistol abo=
ut 30 cm from your ear (or about 165dB in air).

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-327-6771
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: WildSanctuary
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_n=
atural_world?language=3Den

m <>> wrote:

>> Mostly, it sounds like common species of what, in English, are called wa=
ter-boatmen (Corixidae). These can be found everywhere there is fresh water=
 and decaying floral debris in vernal pools, in shallow water by ponds and =
lakeside, and even by the curb after a spring or summer rain, etc.

>> We first encountered these signatures in late March, 1984, at Mono Lake =
just east of the Sierra Nevada Mountains along the Eastern border of Califo=
rnia while recording the Great Basin spadefoot toad (Spea intermontana) in =
a study for the University of California in Santa Cruz led by the late Ken =
Norris (who identified how dolphins generate and receive echolocation signa=
ls). We were recording to see if the tadpoles generated sound (they do), an=
d if the vocalizations of the adults carried in water as well as air (they =
do). At the same time, we picked up these odd scraping sounds (water-boatme=
n) but couldn=92t identify them, at first. But after filling some buckets w=
ith water and mud from the pond, and sifting through the material, we were =
left with the water-boatmen and were able to record them separately, thus f=
iguring out the source.

e_natural_world?language=3Den <https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_=
voice_of_the_natural_world?language=3Den>

>>> On Feb 3, 2018, at 1:20 AM,  <calandrella=
> [naturerecordists] < <mailto:=
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Below the links to soundcloud for two of my underwater recordings from =
Italy.
>>> Sounds are similar to that of your recording, but surely emitted by dif=
ferent species of small aquatic insects.

>>> Marco
>>>
>>> https://soundcloud.com/marco- pesente/corixa-punctata-sound <https://so=
undcloud..com/marco-pesente/corixa-punctata-sound>
>>> https://soundcloud.com/marco- pesente/micronecta-sp-lesser- water <http=
s://soundcloud.com/marco-pesente/micronecta-sp-lesser-water>