Re: Help with underwater identification please

Subject: Re: Help with underwater identification please
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:16 am ((PST))
Mostly, it sounds like common species of what, in English, are called water=
-boatmen (Corixidae). These can be found everywhere there is fresh water an=
d decaying floral debris in vernal pools, in shallow water by ponds and lak=
eside, and even by the curb after a spring or summer rain, etc.

We first encountered these signatures in late March, 1984, at Mono Lake jus=
t east of the Sierra Nevada Mountains along the Eastern border of Californi=
a while recording the Great Basin spadefoot toad (Spea intermontana) in a s=
tudy for the University of California in Santa Cruz led by the late Ken Nor=
ris (who identified how dolphins generate and receive echolocation signals)=
.. We were recording to see if the tadpoles generated sound (they do), and =
if the vocalizations of the adults carried in water as well as air (they do=
).. At the same time, we picked up these odd scraping sounds (water-boatmen=
) but couldn=92t identify them, at first. But after filling some buckets wi=
th water and mud from the pond, and sifting through the material, we were l=
eft with the water-boatmen and were able to record them separately, thus fi=
guring out the source.

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-327-6771
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: WildSanctuary
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_n=
atural_world?language=3Den

> On Feb 3, 2018, at 1:20 AM,  [naturerecordists] <n=
> wrote:
>

> Below the links to soundcloud for two of my underwater recordings from It=
aly.
> Sounds are similar to that of your recording, but surely emitted by diffe=
rent species of small aquatic insects.