4. Re: Wildtronics a good product?

Subject: 4. Re: Wildtronics a good product?
From: "Klas" klasstrandberg
Date: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:26 pm ((PDT))
Tom, I know what you mean. There is never enough time. But get out
recording! You can=B4t do good tech without listening anyway.

A clearifying to Bruce:
Cardioids: Yes, the membrane of a cardioid will move less than the
membrane in an omni. But you will probably get a better ratio between
traffic/atmo noise and signal. So =94gain=94?? (note the word =94probably=
=94)

I am busy developing a new stereo parabol which doesn=B4t make any sense
at all, but sounds great so far.
Is it a =94good product=94? I don=B4t know. Measurements are within reasona=
ble
limits, the rest is a matter of taste. Birds will start making sounds
here at the end of January and after listening to hours and hours of
test recordings I will know around the middle of May.

Klas

On 2017-10-18 19:32,  [naturerecordists] wrote:

> Marco,
>
> If your cardioid is having more gain than the omni, then the omni is
> either not at focus or is pointed outwards and not picking up the
> signal from the dish well. What I wrote is a fact, using a simple
> cardioid will have a loss in gain. But, as we now hear from Klas, he
> may be using a special wide angle cardioid that would be helpful in
> maintaining the gain better than a simple cardioid. Although, that
> doesn't match the gain curves I have seen from a older test on a Twin
> Science unit. If you are worried about clipping, many recorders today
> offer a backup channel that can record at a different gain setting or
> you can unlink a stereo recording and have separate gains for each
> channel.
>
> The sound sample is nice, but it's just a single sample without any
> comparison using some other type of microphone at the same time, nor
> range indicated. So, it's very difficult to make any qualitative
> comparisons.
>
> Bruce Rutkoski
> Owner
> www.wildtronics. com
>

> ---In  <> wrote :
>
> Bruce wrote:
>
>     >However, when using a cardioid, the system will have only half the
>     gain
>
> (-6dB) -- like a 10 inch dish compared to a 20 inch dish. The polar
> response of a cardioid microphone does not allow it to collect the
> signal from much of the dish surface area. What does -6dB mean? You
> will have to be half the distance to your subject to get that 6dB back.
>
> As someone here said, not always theory is like practice.
> See at this recording (may 2009), entered on Soundcloud four years
> ago, made using a Telinga Twin Science Microphone
> https://soundcloud.com/marco-pesente/crested-tit-telinga-twin
> Description note on soundcloud.
>
> Marco

<*> Your email settings: