2. Re: Wildtronics a good product?

Subject: 2. Re: Wildtronics a good product?
From: natureguyusa
Date: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 am ((PDT))
=0D
 Yes, Klas, I agree a wide cardioid will help with at least the bass dip an=
d improve the gain over using a normal cardioid. That's another technique t=
o help solve the issue. As long as you can modify the cardioid venting with=
out effecting the overall response. That would be difficult for a DIY'er to=
 do without a lot of vigorous testing. Wide cardioids are not very common o=
n the open market. The qualities of a parabolic mic are gain, low noise, di=
rectitivy, smooth, predictable gain curve, and lack of stray pickup. When t=
hese qualities are present, good quality sound will result.=0D
=0D
Bruce Rutkoski=0D
Owner=0D
www.wildtronics.com=0D
=0D
---In  <> wrote :=0D
=0D
 =0D
 "Stenman", thank for the input, yes most recordists prefer several mics in=
 their toolbox. =0D
 As long as it stays reasonable portable, the more the merrier?=0D
 =0D
 Bruce, an advice, -  using a tuned wide cardioid in a dish will take furth=
er advantage of the parabolic dish gain, reduce handling noise and lower th=
e bass dip as an alternative to placing a microphone closed in between a pl=
ate and the dish. =0D
 =0D
 There is no difference between theory and practice... in theory. There are=
 other qualities than amplification.  =0D
 =0D
 Klas=0D
 =0D
 On 2017-10-12 19:36,   [naturerecordists] wro=
te: Klas-G=F6ran,=0D
 =0D
 Thanks for the perspective which is very refreshing. I have your company's=
 parabolas and microphone and they work very well. I have other microphones=
 that also have their uses and what I use depends upon what I want to recor=
d. No one type of mic is good for all situations as you mentioned. =0D
 =0D
 A parabolic rig is more directional but amplifies higher frequency sounds =
more than low ones. A shotgun is less directional (and so easy to point and=
 to use to track birds in motion) but does not amplify the sound. Either wa=
y some adjustment is needed with either choice to get the best possible rec=
ording. =0D
 =0D
 For air travel purposes I take a small foldable Telinga parabola & mic set=
up, a Sennheiser shotgun mic, and a couple of small omni mics along with a =
recorder and a netbook. In the future I plan to add a hydrophone to the kit=
. =0D
 =0D
 =0D
=0D