Re: re-connecting with Nature-Recordists

Subject: Re: re-connecting with Nature-Recordists
From: inetd_conf
Date: Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:33 pm ((PDT))
Good to hear from you! I read through your web page a couple of times when =
I was starting out and learned a ton from you. (I still consider myself a r=
ank beginner, so I'm still learning.) For some reason I wasn't aware of you=
r Soundcloud channel. Thanks for the link. I just subscribed.

 I'm over on the Big Island. Most of the recordings I've made have been wit=
h a home-built SASS similar to Vicki Powys's design. I've got a mid-side se=
tup, but I'm not entirely happy with it yet. The resulting sound just doesn=
't have the breadth of the SASS. I'm looking forward to listening to your M=
/S recordings on Soundcloud to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong=
.

 And now that I'm looking through your tracks on Soundcloud, I think you mi=
ght be able to help me with another steep learning curve: I've been recordi=
ng in the Upper Waiakea Forest Reserve, but I'm having a hard time identify=
ing birds from their calls. I'm the only person I know on this island who's=
 doing field recording, so I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of or an=
swer questions like, "What's this bird?" I am profoundly grateful that you =
have birds called out by name in your tracks. I expect I'll be spending man=
y happy hours learning from you and your recordings!

 I've only just started recording here, so I'm not as attuned to the state =
of the ecology or the directions it's heading. There doesn't seem to be as =
much active incursion into natural habitat as there seems to be on Kauai, b=
ut to some degree I think that's because a lot of the damage was already do=
ne by ranching and sugar cane plantations earlier on. Last week I was liste=
ning to someone talk about their life here, and they mentioned that Kawaiha=
e Road, the road I live on, was entirely forested when they were younger. B=
ut the trees were all cut down to make it easier to move cattle. Today it l=
ooks like West Texas.

 One of the largest changes to the soundscape here has been the coqui frogs=
. They've been here since the 80s, but in the last ten years they've spread=
 to almost every survivable habitat on the island. The places I've been rec=
ording are too high and too cold for them to survive, but most of Hamakua, =
Puna, and North Kohala are inundated. In the last couple of years they've s=
howed up in Waimea as well.

 I'm really glad to hear from you. I feel a lot less isolated out here. And=
 thanks for sharing everything on your web site. I'm indebted to you in mor=
e ways than I can count.

 Cheers,

 Tom

<*> Your email settings: