Re: Wildtronics a good product?

Subject: Re: Wildtronics a good product?
From: naturalcontemplative
Date: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 am ((PDT))
Hi Rob,

I have used two parabolic microphones, the Wildtronics Pro Mono, and one th=
at I made using a dish that I bought on eBay for about US$60 (haven't seen =
them for a long time so that may no longer be an option). I was initially d=
isappointed that the Wildtronics Pro mic-mount parts are mostly plastic whe=
re I was expecting more robust metal, but plastic is lighter and probably a=
n appropriate material. It certainly seems sturdy enough. I just have somet=
hing of an anti-plastic bias when I am spending my limited funds. The handl=
e is solid metal with a foam cushion.

The parabola that I made is constructed from PVC plumbing parts to hold an =
EM172 mic capsule, and bits of scrap pine for the handle. My home-made para=
bola cost less than $100 and works fine. I have two complaints with it: the=
 handle is not very good at isolating handling noise and the rigid dish is =
inconvenient to transport. Even if I wear a glove the microphone picks up e=
very movement of my hand and body. The dish is rigid, not flexible, so it t=
akes up a lot of space in the car. Very inconvenient for an extended campin=
g trip where space is at a premium. It has also now cracked due to the dish=
 being bumped against things a few too many times.

I purchased the light-weight flexible dish for the Wildtronics Pro, and I m=
uch prefer that to the dish I bought on eBay. The best equipment is the equ=
ipment you actually use, and being able to roll up the dish for transport i=
s a big advantage for me. I do not find the handle on the Wildtronics Pro t=
o be perfectly effective at isolating motion noise, although it is better t=
han my homemade handle. Oh, I also find the access to the battery in the Wi=
ldtronics to be a little difficult, so I tend to use the PIP from my record=
er instead, which seems to work just as well. I also purchased the recorder=
 mount accessory which I find useful, although it required some modificatio=
n to tightly secure my LS-11 recorder.

You could buy just a flexible dish from either Telinga or Wildtronics and b=
uild your own handle and microphone mount. If you do so, make sure the thro=
ugh-hole matches whatever you will use as a mount, or make sure you can get=
 one without a through-hole and cut your own hole to match the materials yo=
u are using (which is what I did). But if that is not your bent, the Wildtr=
onics does a good job in my experience. I am happy with the sound quality. =
If the Telinga does a better job isolating motion noise (I've never used on=
e so I do not know), then I think that would make it worth the extra cost. =
Motion noise has ruined many an otherwise good recording. I tend to use a t=
ripod now when I can, and those are the recordings that are the most valuab=
le to me. If you are using a tripod, the quality of the handle doesn't much=
 matter.

I hope this helps.

John Crockett
Westminster, Vermont