1. Re: Stereo mic

Subject: 1. Re: Stereo mic
From: "Jim Mooney" jmooney776
Date: Mon Apr 3, 2017 11:07 am ((PDT))
Thanks again for all the advice all.  After reading everything over and con=
sidering I ordered a pair of the the clippy EM172s from micbooster.   I wil=
l experiment with these and go from there.

Take care,

Jim

no_switchable_video.html/prm/alsVwDtl <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ=
ct/1211979-REG/azden_smx_30_stereo_mono_switchable_video.html/prm/alsVwDtl>

> I have no personal experience with this, but the reviews indicate that it=
 may work for your needs. I think that B&H has a good return policy if you =
don't like it, but you should check with them.

_mic_x.html/prm/alsVwDtl <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082671-RE=
G/rode_svmx_stereo_video_mic_x.html/prm/alsVwDtl>

> It has excellent specs and very low self-noise, which would make it usefu=
l for recording quiet nature areas. It is not cheap, but you don't get some=
thing for nothing. Remember that .   ;>}
> However, it appears to be the same price as a Rode NT-4, so if you could =
afford that, buy this SVMX mic instead. Much better specs and it is compact=
.

> One thing that is very important to consider is shock mounts and wind pro=
tection.
> Both of these mics have that to some degree, but you may have to augment =
that, depending on the conditions where you are recording. Experience will =
show you the way.

> Note that both of these mics are made to mount on the hot shoe of cameras=
, so you may need an adapter to mount them on a tripod, mic stand or a ligh=
t stand. There are adapters available for boom poles as well.

> The only stereo one-point mic that I personally have found to be good is =
the Audio Technica BP4025.  It needs good blimping to take care of wind noi=
se, but it has excellent performance in the field. Here is the link:
P4025_X_Y_Stereo_Field.html <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602082-=
REG/Audio_Technica_BP4025_BP4025_X_Y_Stereo_Field.html>

> The only problem with the last mic is that it requires phantom power and =
has XLR connectors. You will find this to be the case with any good quality=
 mic that you find.
> That won't work with the recorder that you have, so you either need to ad=
d and external preamp (pricey & bulky) or upgrade your recorder. The minimu=
m I would commend is the Tascam DR-70D. It supports four channel recording =
(4 XLRs with phantom) and has good low noise preamps for less than $300. It=
 is part of my 'grab & go' rig, light weight and compact. I use an external=
 USB power brick when using phantom power, especially for four mics, since =
4 AA cells don't last for more than about 1.5 hours.

> As always, read the reviews, talk to the folks where you plan to buy it (=
I recommend B&H) and then try it. Perhaps you can try the Azden and give us=
 a review of your experiences with it.

> So that's all I have to say on this subject.
> Personally, I think your best bang for the buck is to go the DIY route be=
cause it is very inexpensive, light weight, and low-noise. Plus you will ha=
ve the satisfaction of having built something that you can modify and impro=
ve upon to suit your needs.

> Good luck to you and Ciao!
>
> - Gregory
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Mar 23, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Jim Mooney  <jmoone=
> [naturerecordists] < <mailto:=
>> wrote:
>

>> I'll add to the question by asking:  other than a pair of EM172 based mi=
cs, what's the next stereo mic the group would recommend?  I'm thinking a s=
ingle point mic like a NT-4 or something.  Not top of the line but best ban=
g for the buck.

>> Be well,
>>

>> Jim
>>

>> On 03/23/2017 04:18 PM, Matt Rogalsky  <rogals=
> [naturerecordists] wrote:
>>>

>>> Check out LOM mics (by Jon=E1=9A Gruska), well built and very good spec=
s. I have a pair of the =93U=9Ai Pro=94 and they are quite excellent for al=
l kinds of field recording.
>>> Not too expensive =97 the Pro pair are 120 Euro, the others 90.
>>>
>>> https://lom.audio/product/usi/ <https://lom.audio/product/usi/>
>>> https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/ <https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/>
>>>
>>> Unfortunately they are out of stock most of the time but if you join th=
e mailing list you=92ll get occasional announcements of new batches you can=
 pre-order=85 if you=92re quick about it!

>>> Here are some frogs recorded last week on Gabriola Island, BC <https://=
www.dropbox.com/s/id5iz2j1fxe89a2/Gabriola%20Frogs%20edit%20March%2018%2020=
Message: 17.
Subject: aif?dl=3D1> (DropBox link).

>>> Gruska also makes some other really interesting stuff. Check out his de=
vices for sonifying magnetic fields.

lto:> [naturerecordists] <=
s.com <>> wrote:

> [...]
r soundscape work, mainly water river, shorelines. Something in the $200 br=
acket.