[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6760

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6760
From: "" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 01:16:36 +0000
There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: mid side on a shoestring
    From:  inetd_conf

2a. Long Cables Suggestion ?
    From:  accardi.francesco
2b. Re: Long Cables Suggestion ?
    From: Jonas Gruska

Messages
1a. Re: mid side on a shoestring
    Posted by:   inetd_conf
    Date: Tue Mar 7, 2017 5:17 pm ((PST))

It's possible to make a nice boundary array for not too much and it's possible
to make a nice self-enclosed mid-side mic for not too much. Which one you
choose really depends on what you're after. Both will take a fair bit of time
in the DIY shop, but to me both are totally worth it.

 Here's a comparison between a boundary array along the lines of what Gregory
mentioned and a mid-side mic:

 https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kiholo-bay-sass-vs-m-s
https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kiholo-bay-sass-vs-m-s

 I was still working on the mid-side mic at that point, so listen primarily for
the sense of space rather than the frequency response. (To my ear the M-S mic
is a little bright in that recording. I later modified the mic to roll off the
HF presence peak and bring the frequency response more in line with the SASS.
Those tests are on my Soundcloud page if you're interested, but I'll understand
if you're not.)

 I built my SASS boundary array using the information from Vicki Powys's web
site:

 http://caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=1_17_recording-gear-1
http://caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=1_17_recording-gear-1

 The only differences between hers and mine are that I used single capsules
instead of doubles (my next one is using doubles), I built mine out of wood
instead of foam (my next one will be made using foam), and I built mine to use
XLR jacks (the 3.5mm input on my recorder is nowhere near as good as the XLR
inputs, so this was a personal decision). Total cost was under $50US with a
3.5mm, and about $65US with the XLRs.

 I built my mid-side mic using this Instructable from Jules Ryckenbusch:

 http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-the-MS-Alice-Stereo-Microphone/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-the-MS-Alice-Stereo-Microphone/

 Here are the (admittedly sparse) details of my build:

https://tombenedict.wordpress.com/2016/11/11/building-the-ms-alice-microphone-part-1/

https://tombenedict.wordpress.com/2016/11/11/building-the-ms-alice-microphone-part-1/

https://tombenedict.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/building-the-ms-alice-microphone-part-2/

https://tombenedict.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/building-the-ms-alice-microphone-part-2/

 Total cost for the M-S mic was roughly $90US.

 The one catch with how this is built is that it's completely self-enclosed and
uses a cardioid for the mid mic that can't be swapped out for a hypercardioid
or a shotgun. The advantage to the self-enclosed design is that it's quick and
easy to set up in the field (three plugs).

 I like them both, but they're not really interchangeable. The SASS really
shines when you're trying to establish an immersive sense of space (e.g. frog
chorus on a still, humid night with a lot of reverberance off nearby trees).
The M-S really shines when you're trying to highlight one particular source and
place it in its environment (e.g. picking out a single frog amidst a chorus of
insects), especially if you ever intend to use the mid channel for mono.

 The self-noise on the EM-172 capsules is respectable, and the acoustic boost
you get from using them in a boundary condition in the SASS means that the S/N
improves slightly at higher frequencies. I suspect the self-noise on the M-S
mic is at least several dB lower than the EM-172 (between 3 and 6), but I
haven't been able to do any sort of rigorous test.

 All that being said, I really love the SASS for birds.

 Cheers,

 Tom

Messages in this topic (3)
2a. Long Cables Suggestion ?
    Posted by:   accardi.francesco
    Date: Wed Mar 8, 2017 10:51 am ((PST))

Hello to everyone,Here is Francesco from Sicily, first i want to thank you for
accepting me on the group.I'm into nature recording since a couple of years.I
bought a Matched pair of Rode Nt1a and now i'm looking for long cables.I'm
considering to Cordial CMK 422 Twin, because with 25 metres i'm still in my
budget ( about 50 Euros )Any suggestion ? all your tips are wellcome.

Thanks in advanceFrancesco

Messages in this topic (2)
2b. Re: Long Cables Suggestion ?
    Posted by: "Jonas Gruska"  mrqwa
    Date: Wed Mar 8, 2017 3:01 pm ((PST))

Hey Francesco,

I have successfully used this miniature cable for field recording in
nature. Main reason was the weight – it really adds up with the longer
lengths and especially if you want need to hike.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cmk_209_bk.htm

It is not twin, but you can fashion a “twin” from two of those
easily. And it will still be lighter then CMK422.

Regards,
Jonas

✺ ✺ ✺
http://jonasgru.sk

On 8 Mar 2017, at 19:42,  [naturerecordists]
wrote:

> Hello to everyone,Here is Francesco from Sicily, first i want to thank
> you for accepting me on the group.I'm into nature recording since a
> couple of years.I bought a Matched pair of Rode Nt1a and now i'm
> looking for long cables.I'm considering to Cordial CMK 422 Twin,
> because with 25 metres i'm still in my budget ( about 50 Euros )Any
> suggestion ? all your tips are wellcome.
>
> Thanks in advanceFrancesco

Messages in this topic (2)

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional