Re: Early frog, bird singing + other weird stuff

Subject: Re: Early frog, bird singing + other weird stuff
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sun Mar 5, 2017 3:00 pm ((PST))
I record often at Sugarloaf State Park (located in the Mayacamas Mtns=85the=
 geological dividing ridge between Napa and Sonoma Valleys). http://www.sug=
arloafpark.org <http://www.sugarloafpark.org/>

 From the paddock parking area gate, about a half mile at road=92s end past=
 the entrance toll booth, it=92s about a .8mi (1.2Km) easy walk to numerous=
 good sites. Bird choruses beginning before dawn become more dense and dive=
rse with each passing day, now. Height of dawn chorus season is 2nd - 3rd w=
eek in April thru May. Frog choruses still abundant during the evening. Gen=
erally no noise from ground traffic or humans. Typically only one or two ai=
rcraft outbound from SFO during the entire 1 hr dawn chorus event. While th=
e park is not quiet during the day, noise-free-intervals are common during =
the early hours and late at night.

Trails abundant and well-marked. Puma, black bear, foxes, bob cat can be oc=
casionally seen (and heard).  During the week, hardly anyone else to be see=
n or heard. In 25 years of recording there every year, I think we=92ve seen=
 less than half a dozen other people at those hours.

Sugarloaf is one of about a dozen really decent wildlife-abundant recording=
 locations in and around Sonoma County, about a 90 minute drive from where =
we live about half way between the town of Sonoma and Santa Rosa. Some are =
large private properties. Others are open space designations. Still others =
are owned and controlled by institutions like Sonoma State University, whic=
h owns like the Galbreath Reserve, a 3200 acre completely undeveloped, acce=
ssible, and very quiet parcel of secondary growth woodland off of Hwy 128, =
the road between Cloverdale and Jenner, California.

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-938-5388
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: WildSanctuary
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_n=
atural_world?language=3Den

] <> wrote:

> Does anyone has any suggestions on where I can catch bird and especially =
frog choruses in the Bay Area?
> I'm assuming I'd have to go up north a bit to escape the ruckus of the SF=
 Bay Area but a specific area would be highly appreciated.

> Thanks all.
>
> Kevin Durr
>
> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Bernie Krause  <m=
ailto:> [naturerecordists] <=
oups.com <>> wrote:
> With the wet northern California winter, we had Pacific chorus frogs as e=
arly as Xmas, and bird-song as early as late January. Our feeder has drawn =
house-finches w/ yellow heads, and red crossbills, phenomena we=92ve never =
seen or heard before this early (although the dawn choruses around here hav=
e tended to begin and peak a couple weeks earlier then when I first began r=
ecording in this area in 1993).

> Today, my wife and I found a badly injured red-tailed hawk on our propert=
y, covered it gently with a soft blanket and took it to the nearby bird res=
cue center where it has a good chance of recovery.

> We=92ll begin recording dawn choruses in the next 10 days or so=85as soon=
 as the weather breaks, again.

> Bernie
>

>> On Mar 5, 2017, at 10:37 AM,  <> [n=
aturerecordists] < <naturerecordists=
@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

>> Martyn and Ray,
>>
>> A friend had Woodcocks "Peenting" in a nearby field, this week, and I ha=
d 17 Tundra Swans flying over (just east of Toronto). The Woodcocks are def=
initely early, while I would guess that the Tundra Swans are early as well =
(65 reported in the local area).

>> All the best,
>> Ernie Jardine
>> Pickering Ontario
>>  <>
>>
>> www.birdsongidentification.com <http://www.birdsongidentification.com/>

 survey. The first 'window', during which we expected to hear Spring Peeper=
s, was March 20th to April 16th. Typically, the Peepers would make their fi=
rst appearance around April 1st. This year, we heard them two days ago, on =
February 25th. They are at least a month early.

ups.com <>> wrote:

>> In all the years I have been monitoring this specific site, i have never=
 heard pacific chorus frogs singing this early before.

>> I have 15 years data from this area and in all that time the frogs start=
 to sing around the beginning of March.

=3Dsoundcloud&utm_campaign=3Dshare&utm_medium=3Dfacebook <https://soundclou=