sharing an electronic fault

Subject: sharing an electronic fault
Date: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:49 pm ((PDT))
Anyone who has ever tried to track down an electrical fault or short knows
it takes a dedicated procedure of replacing one component in a system at a
time until the culprit is revealed.  In a couple of recent bird song
recordings I heard a faint rumble suggesting wind, when it was a very still
day.  Furthermore I was using a Rycote Softie over a Sennheiser ME67 which
was more than up to the task of any light breeze.  I found this anomaly on =
recording of Eastern Wood-Pewee and Gray Catbird, the latter to which I hav=
linked.  The sound is very subtle. After changing out microphone cables, K6
power modules, headphones,  mic capsules and comparing other microphones on
the same recorder, I was able to isolate it to a length of Canare cable tha=
I had assembled myself with Neutrik connectors. When I disassembled the
suspect connector there was no reason to think there was an issue since the
contacts were well soldered.  Nevertheless I rebuilt it and the issue has
gone.  In a quiet room the click or rumble has disappeared.  However, with
the first installation I had used some old, no, make that very old, solder.
The new assembly is with new solder.  I hope I am right, and I pass this
along for the benefit of others who may face a similar aggravation.

https://soundcloud.com/russ-wigh/gray-catbird-1

Russ Wigh