Surround/Quad boundary array?

Subject: Surround/Quad boundary array?
From: "Daan Hendriks" daan_humanworkshop
Date: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:35 am ((PDT))
Hi all,

I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced with surround/quad boundary
arrays? I'm thinking something 'basic' along the lines of Marc Anderson's
former rig pictured here:

http://wildambience.com/sound-recording-equipment/

But using 2 pairs of Sennheiser 8020s, the one pair pointing forward, the
other backward.
I don't have much experience recording surround apart from using double MS,
which is OK but i'd prefer to get the spatial effect of using a boundary
and omnis recorded to 4 discreet channels.

As I don't have an easy way to audition in surround at the moment, I've not
experimented with a setup such as described above. Surely some people here
on this list however have tried out using boundary omni arrays in surround,
so I'd be most curious to learn about the pitfalls/results/any thoughts.

One thing I'm wondering with using a boundary box like the link above with
4 mics pointing two directions is that perhaps the front and rear mics
would be too close to each other? Could there be any phasing problems?
Would using two separate arrays maybe be a better approach?

Thank you,
Daan