Re: Bat detector calibration

Subject: Re: Bat detector calibration
From: "Gianni Pavan" gpavan1960
Date: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:43 am ((PDT))
hi all,
   sound boards, either integrated on the motherboard or connected
externally, can produce sounds in the range allowed by the supported
sampling rates. Unfortunately, starting with windows 7, there is an often
obscure intermediate step managed by the operating system. Whatever we send
to the sound output is resampled internally according to the settings in
the control panel. If we have a 192 kHz sound board, to use it at that
sample rate for either input or output we need to open the advanced
properties of the selected recording or playback device to set the sample
rate and bit depth we want to use. If we set 192k and in our software we
play at 44100 then the stream will be up sampled to 192k; viceversa, if the
playback device is set to 44100, when we send a stream at 192k it will be
down sampled to 44100. This happens for both recording and playback !
Moreover the latest windows versions have an internal level control and
this means that you're never sure of the levels you record with your
software.

All these problems can be solved by using software that uses WASAPI that
allows a more direct control on the sound devices. Unfortunately WASAPI is
much more complex than the old wave i/o programming modes used by most
software.

Further comments and/or corrections on this issue are welcome

Gianni

<

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universit=E0 degli Studi di Pavia

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: