Re: Preamp for PIP mics

Subject: Re: Preamp for PIP mics
From: "D Secomb" dsecomb2
Date: Tue Dec 8, 2015 4:38 pm ((PST))
Hi Eric
Yes the preamp is between the mic and the recorder which normally
supplies PIP for the mic but with the preamp which one supplies the
power. A boost from mic to recorder is what I desire. Does the batery
box you describe does the. Does the EM172 handle 12v very well?
David

On 9/12/2015 8:12 AM, Eric Benjamin  [naturerecordists]
wrote:

> I think that we need more information. Do you intend this preamp to go
> between the PIP microphone and an existing PIP input?
>
> PIP has some fundamental limitations. It is basically defined by a 3
> Volt supply and a 2k pullup resistor. The resistor gives rise to a
> minimum noise floor, and the 3 V supply limits the maximum voltage to
> about 1 V rms. If those were the only limitations then the performance
> could be very good. A so called battery box helps by allowing a higher
> battery voltage and perhaps a higher value pullup resistor. As an
> example, the Primo EM172 is spec'd at -28 dBV/Pa and 80 dB SNR and 122
> dB SPL maximum acoustic level. But that is with a 5V supply and a 3.9
> k resistor. With 3V and 2k all of those specs will degrade slightly.
>
> You could build a battery box with those values and get the specified
> performance from the mic capsule. But there will still be a limitation
> on the maximum signal that can be accepted by the preamp in the
> recorder. That is, the preamp will clip. If you only want to record
> quiet sounds, then the overload will probably not occur.
>
> To do a complete job on the interface design we need more info on your
> microphones and recorder.

> *From: * D Secomb  [naturerecordists]
> <>;

-----