[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6445

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6445
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 08:11:36 +0000
There are 7 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: The recording with the Great Snipe
    From:  orphean2001

2a. Re: Great Snipe
    From:  chrishails50
2b. Re: Great Snipe
    From: Arnþór Helgason
2c. Great Snipe
    From: Neville Recording
2d. Re: Great Snipe
    From: Bernie Krause

3a. Re: Pond Station, A Live Hydrophone Web-stream
    From: Zach Poff
3b. Re: Pond Station, A Live Hydrophone Web-stream
    From: Bernie Krause

Messages
1a. Re: The recording with the Great Snipe
    Posted by:   orphean2001
    Date: Sat Aug 8, 2015 4:38 am ((PDT))

Thanks to all for the comments. Very pleased to be able to share something that
gets appreciated.

 Arnthor, your recording (very nice, by the way - both the aerial display that
we call drumming, and the very close chipping call) features Common Snipe,
Gallinago gallinago. My recording is of Great Snipe Galinago media, which is
fractionally larger, otherwise very similar looking, with a range from
north-east Europe into Asia. Interesting that they have completely different
display behaviour and sounds.

 The mics were Sennheiser mkh30/50 MS set-up on low tripod, 100m cable to a
Sound Devices MP2 pre-amp and into a Tascam DAP1 DAT recorder. This was back in
2002, just about the time I changed to a 30/40 combo, which is still my
preferred mic set-up.

 Geoff Sample

www.wildsong.co.uk http://www.wildsong.co.uk/

www.geoffsample.com http://www.geoffsample.com/

https://www.facebook.com/realwildsong https://www.facebook.com/realwildsong

http://twitter.com/realwildsong http://twitter.com/realwildsong

Messages in this topic (3)
2a. Re: Great Snipe
    Posted by:   chrishails50
    Date: Sat Aug 8, 2015 9:30 am ((PDT))

Great stuff Geoff - excellent recording and appreciated your description of the
field technique. Didn't envy all those mozzies flying around though...

Chris

Messages in this topic (8)
2b. Re: Great Snipe
    Posted by: "Arnþór Helgason"
    Date: Sat Aug 8, 2015 9:36 am ((PDT))

I sincerely agree. Thank you very much for this interesting information.

Arnthor

Messages in this topic (8)
2c. Great Snipe
    Posted by: "Neville Recording"  nevillerecording
    Date: Sat Aug 8, 2015 11:35 am ((PDT))

Thank you for a lovely recording Geoff.
I always think of various grouse when I think of Lekking.
  Is the Great Snipe related to the Grouse family?
  John Neville BC Canada

Messages in this topic (8)
2d. Re: Great Snipe
    Posted by: "Bernie Krause"  bigchirp1
    Date: Sat Aug 8, 2015 11:47 am ((PDT))

Amazing, Geoff. Thanks for the posting.

Bernie

On Aug 7, 2015, at 3:08 AM, Geoff Sample
[naturerecordists] <> wrote:

> Let�s take a break from all the tech stuff and get stuck into a Polish peat
> bog! Here�s a new soundcloud posting, with some notes on how the recording
> was made, I�d like to share with the group.
>
> This may be the most beautiful, mysterious and beguiling of all choruses to
> be heard in Europe -  Great Snipe lekking. Highly subjective I know, but
> sometimes you�ve got to stick your neck out to be heard:-)
>
> https://soundcloud.com/wildsong/great-snipe-lek
>
> Geoff Sample
>
> www.wildsong.co.uk
> www.geoffsample.com
>
> https://www.facebook.com/realwildsong
> http://twitter.com/realwildsong
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------

> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: biophony
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world.html

Messages in this topic (8)
3a. Re: Pond Station, A Live Hydrophone Web-stream
    Posted by: "Zach Poff"  zacharypoff
    Date: Sat Aug 8, 2015 10:01 am ((PDT))

Thanks for listening, Bernie and Ray.

Bernie: Great ideas. I'll be back up there in September so I'll try to
dig up some critters while I have the waders on! You mentioned recording
vernal pools near Mono Lake. I'd love to hear them. Were they released
on one of your discs?

Ray: You can certainly visit. Contact Wave Farm in Acra where it's
installed (via the link on my page) to figure out their visitor hours.
I've been thinking about above-the-water sounds too, but there's a road
nearby (which I can actually hear via the hydrophones sometimes) and I'd
have to do some thinking since the original intention was to reveal
sounds that aren't immediately perceivable to humans.

-Zach

Messages in this topic (5)
    Date: Sat Aug 8, 2015 10:28 am ((PDT))

The insect larvae (1984 recording) audio files can be found in Chapter 3,
example 21, in my recent book, The Great Animal Orchestra: Finding the Origins
of Music in the World�s Wild Places (Little Brown), Zach. Check it out.

Bernie

On Aug 8, 2015, at 10:01 AM, Zach Poff  [naturerecordists]
<> wrote:

> Thanks for listening, Bernie and Ray.
>
> Bernie: Great ideas. I'll be back up there in September so I'll try to dig up
> some critters while I have the waders on! You mentioned recording vernal
> pools near Mono Lake. I'd love to hear them. Were they released on one of
> your discs?
>
> Ray: You can certainly visit. Contact Wave Farm in Acra where it's installed
> (via the link on my page) to figure out their visitor hours. I've been
> thinking about above-the-water sounds too, but there's a road nearby (which I
> can actually hear via the hydrophones sometimes) and I'd have to do some
> thinking since the original intention was to reveal sounds that aren't
> immediately perceivable to humans.
>
> -Zach

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536