[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6425

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6425
From: "" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:08:26 +0000
There are 8 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Song Thrush Virtuoso
    From: Michael Dalton

2a. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    From: Bryan Celano
2b. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    From: BinauralBrisbane
2c. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    From: umashankar
2d. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    From: J. Charles Holt
2e. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    From: Jonas Gruska

3a. Pre-amp Question
    From: Drew Panko

4. Hummingbird Dive-Bomb
    From: J. Charles Holt

Messages
1a. Re: Song Thrush Virtuoso
    Posted by: "Michael Dalton"  mdaltonarielle
    Date: Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:57 am ((PDT))

Howdy Tim,
I think the effect you notice, the difference in the songs of birds in
different areas, is dialect. In my study of parrot speech, my research found
articles about differences in dialect in song birds in California that were
separated by as little as 20 miles. Also, the sounds of parrots in the Amazon
region were found to contain duets (special pair songs) and calls that had
dialect as well. The studies can be found on-line; they are also referenced in
my book about a parrot learning language. The parallels between birds sounds,
the establishment that they have language based on reports in the literature,
and their ability to learn human language is amazing. The more we learn about
birds, the more able they appear to be intellectual creatures. I am blown away
with the idea that English for a parrot is merely a second language.
Anyway, I believe the effect you note is song dialect. Good that you observe
it; you corroborate the work of others,
MikeFloridawww.ParrotSpeech.com

   Re: Song Thrush Virtuoso

 Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:08 am (PDT) . Posted by:

   "Tim Bartlett"
     Yeah my favourite type of bird call I think. Here is one I recorded a few
years ago with a parabolic dish…

https://soundcloud.com/tim-b/recording-of-a-song-thrush

I have also noticed that since moving from the Midlands (UK) to Somerset (UK)
that the Song Thrushes sound different in different parts of the country - the
ones in the Midlands used to wolf whistle (you can hear a little of that in the
link above) but not heard that at all from the ones here in Somerset! J

Tim

Messages in this topic (12)
2a. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    Posted by: "Bryan Celano"  bryanwcelano
    Date: Thu Jul 9, 2015 3:21 pm ((PDT))

I reached out to my friend Mark Lanza (who is pictured on their web site and
featured in their promo videos).  He is an editor at SONY and is also VP at The
Motion Picture Sound Editors.  So he has options when it comes to having access
to top recording gear.

I asked him what he thought of the H8 and how it compared to other recorders,
including the 788T ($6,500+ USD), which is one of the main recorders used in
the film industry.  Here is his reply:

"The H8 is a really great recorder - I played with it for about a week.  I
actually love my H6 - for the price you can't beat it.  The H8 does try to
compete with the 788T, The 788T is a standard with the big boys on location and
I don't know if they will ever be converted to something like the zoom.  I
think the [H8] mic pre's were pretty close [to the 788] and the price is WAY
below the 788.  It also had some great features the 788 does not have like
limiters across all 8 channels, even in 192K mode. Also the ability to control
from your iphone/ipad. This is amazing when recording in the field! I was
seriously considering a 788 and then the zoom came along and I'm skipping the
788, can't justify the price with the H8 being this close in quality and so
much cheaper.  Also the H8 takes the plug in mics from the other Zoom recorders
AND they are working on an extension for the mic so it isn't plugged directly
to the unit. With the plug in mic, you can actually record 10 channels at once!"

So lots of pretty nice advanced features and the sound quality seemed to stand
up.  That's based on using it for 1 week.  Hard to say for sure how it will
stand up in the field over time.

Peace,
Bryan

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 09:53:06 -0700
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Zoom F8 ?

      I was kind of surprised to see this today: Zoom F8 MultiTrack Field
Recorder
                             Zoom F8 MultiTrack Field Recorder   Advances in
video have made filmmaking accessible to creators everywhere. But the
accessibility of professional audio devices has not kept pace. Field recor...
           View on www.zoom.co.jp          Preview by Yahoo

I've had unfavorable experiences with Zoom gear in the past- high noise levels,
cheap build- but looking at the specs on this one, I'm very curious. Has
anybody on the list tried one yet?

Paul Dickinson

Messages in this topic (8)
2b. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    Posted by: "BinauralBrisbane"  binauralbrisbane
    Date: Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:26 pm ((PDT))

Thanks Bryan, that's very encouraging.
It will very interesting to see how the pre-amps perform in the field with
nature/ambient recordings!

Kind Regards,
Tony

Messages in this topic (8)
2c. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    Posted by: "umashankar"  umashanks
    Date: Thu Jul 9, 2015 5:49 pm ((PDT))

 wrote:

[...]
time.Peace,BryanTo: :
: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 09:53:06 -0700Subject:
[Nature Recordists] Zoom F8 ?

      I was kind of surprised to see this today: Zoom F8 MultiTrack Field
Recorder                             Zoom F8 MultiTrack Field Recorder
Advances in video have made filmmaking accessible to creators everywhere. But
the accessibility of professional audio devices has not kept pace. Field
recor...              View on www.zoom.co.jp          Preview by Yahoo
    I've had unfavorable experiences with Zoom gear in the past- high noise
levels, cheap build- but looking at the specs on this one, I'm very curious.
Has anybody on the list tried one yet?Paul Dickinson

Messages in this topic (8)
2d. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    Posted by: "J. Charles Holt"
    Date: Thu Jul 9, 2015 6:45 pm ((PDT))

Strange that Mark Lanza, who works for Sony, is plugging the competition.

Either way, the F8 looks very interesting. More than I'll likely ever need, but
a guy can dream!

- Charles

(Pardon any terseness or typos, this was sent from my iPad.)

Messages in this topic (8)
2e. Re: Zoom F8 ?
    Posted by: "Jonas Gruska"  mrqwa
    Date: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:17 am ((PDT))

Does anyone know if the limiters are analog? On H6 they're aren't and
that makes them completely useless.

Regards,
Jonas

✺ ✺ ✺
http://jonasgru.sk

Messages in this topic (8)
3a. Pre-amp Question
    Posted by: "Drew Panko"  Drew_Panko
    Date: Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:30 pm ((PDT))

Hi all,

I'm considering a Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII listed for $380.

I'd like more gain from a Senn 400 to an Olympus LS-7 used for
unattended overnight
nature recording - mainly birdsong.

Anyone have any comments on this unit - particularly how much noise will
be introduced?

Drew

Messages in this topic (12)
4. Hummingbird Dive-Bomb
    Posted by: "J. Charles Holt"
    Date: Thu Jul 9, 2015 6:16 pm ((PDT))

Here’s a recording of a Broadtailed Hummingbird doing a dive-bomb mating ritual
for a female. I tracked his movements with my ME66. He would climb around 30-40
feet in the air and then plummet very fast to a bush where a female was
roosting. He continued this on and off for several minutes. Note at the bottom
of each dive he makes three short chirps.

Also evident starting around :35 is what I believe is a Lesser Goldfinch making
unusual short calls.

Recorded at Dowdy Draw trailhead in Boulder, Colorado on July 9th, 2015 at 2:00
PM.

https://soundcloud.com/jcharlesholt/hummingbird-dive-bomb

Messages in this topic (1)

<*> Your email settings: