Re: How many lyrebirds?

Subject: Re: How many lyrebirds?
From: "Keith Smith" smith9e499
Date: Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:56 am ((PDT))
Hi, Peter.

I swiped a copy from Soundcloud and spent way too much time playing with it
in Rx last night and this morning. I've had good luck with Rx in rescuing
clipped music and speech recordings.

I ran about 30 passes (!) with the DeClip module and also tried the DeClick
module for discontinuities to see what could be done versus what's actually
worth doing. I settled on 3 passes of the DeClip as perhaps the reasonable
limit, not because of artifacts --just seemed to be beating a dead horse
after that. I might have done better with a full depth wave file, but I
doubt the difference would be huge. I also included a 1dB gain reduction
before rendering back to mp3.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/af9cs63a7e6h7uz/131231_01_120942_1857_BrandyCkLyr=
ebirds_Peter%20Shute_rx.mp3?dl=3D1

After hearing Meena's recording (posted as 'Digest Number 6418') this
morning, I heard many of the same things that I think are being blamed on
mic clipping in the comments on SoundCloud. I'm concluding that your
recording is really not that badly clipped. Rather, I think there's a lot
of intermodulation distortion that is just part of the sound, which is very
complex:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci1nhvxifip9opn/LyreBird%20at%203m09s.png?dl=3D1

This (IMD) might be exaggerated here because of mic placement (heh, let's
make that 'bird placement' to be fair). Musical instruments are known to
project different overtones in different, quite distinct directions.
Saxophones are notorious for this, and these sounds are not all that
different from some of the higher atlissimo
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altissimo> sax notes. With the microphone
*below* the bird, I'm thinking that what we're hearing is perhaps a window
into how the sound is produced with lower harmonics and perhaps beat
frequencies being more audible than in most (more distant and higher mic
position) recordings.

Anyway that's my take on it. I'd love to hear an opinion from someone
better educated.

Keith

PS: I'm not sure if all small recorders handle digital 'overs' in the same
way. The abyss of death doesn't seem nearly as sharply defined as it once
was.  My rack mount Motu Traveller audio interface will handle up to +12dB
peaks with no problem and no auto-limiting. I don't depend on that
(generally try to record to max -6) but, it did save my bacon on one job
-no sound check possible and an incredibly powerful pianist together with a
bad guess on my part. I don't remember how this jiggery-pokery is achieved.
I'm just glad it worked.

--
Keith Smith - KeithSmith.ca_Freelance Guitarist & Location Recording Servic=
<http://www.keithsmith.ca>