Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity?

Subject: Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity?
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:21 pm ((PDT))
i can speak for just one recorder and that is the Olympus LS10, for
some quirky reason it has less self-noise when set on low sensitivity
and high gain, as opposed to high sensitivity and lower gain.  Even
after matching the levels in post processing.  This was figured out by
Raimund Specht and is mentioned somewhere on his website.  So "LOW 10"
is my default setting for the LS10, it works better than "HIGH 3"
which had been my previous default setting.  Likely this does not
apply to all recorders, but it is certainly worth testing various
settings on whatever recorder you do have.

Vicki Powys
Australia