Introduction and a question

Subject: Introduction and a question
From: "J. Charles Holt"
Date: Wed May 27, 2015 8:08 am ((PDT))
Hello, all!

First of all, thanks for participating in this list. I=92ve spent hours per=
using and I=92ve learned a tremendous amount, although for every answer I g=
et I feel like I come up with two questions. ;)

A quick introduction, or you can skip ahead to my question down below.

I=92ve had an interest in nature ambience for many years. I first bought th=
e Echoes of Nature CDs back in the 90s, and listened to them frequently. Wh=
enever I got outdoors I would always take time to stop moving, close my eye=
s, and simply listen to what was going on around me. I was brought up aroun=
d high-end audio, as my father founded Stereophile magazine back in 1962, a=
nd I spent many hours listening to his ever-changing setups, but unfortunat=
ely the audio bug didn=92t really bite me. He passed away a few years ago, =
which is such a shame, because I know he would have enjoyed exploring aspec=
ts of recording with me, as it was one of the few things he enjoyed doing u=
ntil his health prevented it.

I recently picked up a PCM-M10, and while I=92ve been very pleased with wha=
t little I=92ve recorded so far, I=92m already wanting to experiment and fi=
ddle, and I=92m really wanting to play with an external mic or two. Since I=
=92m primarily wanting to record quiet soundscapes, I=92m looking for somet=
hing with low noise, but my budget is meager at this stage. I=92m hearing g=
reat things about the little EM172 capsules, or the Naiant X-X, or the MM-B=
SM-9=97but I=92m not seeing a lot of people talking about using them for so=
undscapes, and I=92m concerned about their noise level (which is one of the=
 things that isn=92t usually discussed). The NT4 is also a possibility, but=
 it looks like using two mics gives more opportunity for experimenting, and=
 the NT4 is quite a bit more expensive, especially since it seems to be pre=
tty useless outdoors without a blimp.

Here=92s my question in short: What is a decent inexpensive mic (or mics) w=
ith low noise to use with a PCM-M10 for stereo soundscape recording?

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to participating!

- Charles