Re: Gitzo Tripod Head for Sennheiser M/S system

Subject: Re: Gitzo Tripod Head for Sennheiser M/S system
From: jasonpudd
Date: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 pm ((PDT))
Hi Jennifer,

 Lots of great advice already from everyone.  It all depends what your going to
use this for.

 If you are using this combo for photography and sound then going for a single
solution for both would be lighter in the backcountry than having to carry two
things.  On uneven or unusually angled ground I find the tripod is a better
solution than a lighting or mic stand and if you are going into water, marshes
etc. I find it more stable and much easier to set up. Most of the Systematic
tripods go completely flat to the ground since they don't have a centre post
too.  If this is just for sound then go light and fast.  Don't carry what you
don't need and get the smallest lightest tripod you can find.

 Both are excellent quality made items.  I have used this offset Gitzo ball
head (older and newer versions) for years before moving to an Acra style
dovetail system a while ago.  I still use this head for photography on a
smaller tripod.  However, the head may not have enough lateral clearance when
used in the vertical position when you are using a camera to clear the tripod
collar and legs so may be not the best combo for photography. Check this with
the diameter of the top of the Series 2 tripods.  I have a Series 3 and this is
a problem with this combo.  It is a good ball head for short lenses but does
have problems with longer and heavier lenses and cameras.  This Gitzo quick
release is hard to beat and a pleasure to use with flawless locking and has a
double lock to release for safety.

 I can say from experience that the Gitzo leg locks make much less creaking
noise than cam locks on other tripods like Manfrotto etc. Especially if the
tripod changes temperature during long recordings.  The four section version of
this tripod is smaller when folded but you do have more locks.  There is also
the long or standard height version of the same three section tripod.  Make
sure you get the newest version Systematic because the leg angle lock on the
collar are much easier to use if you have gloves on and there are several other
improvements over the previous design that was made for decades.

 If this is for photography too then also consider a Acratech GP or QR ball
heads (They are the lightest and just as strong) and using a L Bracket from
Really Right Stuff for your camera.  This keeps the weight of the camera over
the centre of the ball head and is more stable.  You can then just get some of
the smallest square RRS plates to put on the bottom of your mic rig and use the
same tripod for sound and photography.

 I have always found tripods a very useful tool crossing creeks and rivers in
the backcountry.  Especially if the water is high and fast because you can
create a stable platform to brace yourself against the current.  I wrap the top
section of the tripod legs with bicycle handlebar tape for cold weather and it
gives a better grip.

 Jason

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional