Re: Binaural Microphones

Subject: Re: Binaural Microphones
From: madl74
Date: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:05 pm ((PDT))
> Sorry to pivot guys, I'm trying to find a solution for recording surround=
 sound for Virtual Reality and while at first it seemed like binaural was t=
he way to go, it now appears that I need to record in 5.0/5.1 and then enco=
de the audio with the Fraunhofer Cingo codec into an MP4. Does anyone have =
a suggestion for a small but high quality system that produces 5.0/5.1? Als=
o, what do I need in order to edit 5.0/5.1? I'm currently using Adobe Sound=
booth but I don't think that'll do the trick anymore.

Eric,

By definition, a 5.0 or 5.1 array needs five discrete sources, normally
mixed down from many sources on a mixer. The ".1" is bass mixed from the 5=

channels sent to a single non-directional woofer.

I listened to the Cingo demo and it is a professional mixdown from the usua=
multiple studio music sources to stereo. They do clever things with phase t=
produce an expanded sound using headphones, but I can't see how a similar
result could be got from a single outdoor mic rig.

Cingo seems to be aimed at the playback market and the codec would not be
aimed at the individual user. As far as I can see, you take a multiple
sources mixdown to stereo (2.0) and play it on a Cingo enabled hardware
device.

As for 5.0 or 5.1, in practice you can't derive five sources using a single=

mic position unless it is a narrow angle gun mic array and that gives
multiple other problems. Multiple cardioids will give you shared signals
from single discrete sources. A cardioid pair is effectively two (combined)=

omnis and two fig-8's which will collect sounds from 360 degrees but from
only two directions on the fig-8's at best, giving three channels with many=

shared sounds between them to mix.