Re: looking for a new digital recorder

Subject: Re: looking for a new digital recorder
From: "Tim Bartlett" =
rnet.com
Date: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:40 am ((PDT))

Hi all,

We have owned an H4n and a R-26 (and Tascam DR680 and Sony D-50).

We didn't keep the H4n for long - we would not recommend that one. It is
noisy (inputs) and the internal mics are not great either. Build quality is
also not great.

The R26 is a very nice recorder and the XLR inputs/preamps are decent.
However its onboard mics are not as good as the Sony D50.

The Tascam DR680 is great for value for money - the preamps are very good.
But yes it's a chunky unit, not a handheld.

So, if onboard mics are not too much of a concern (they are decent, they ar=
not rubbish, just not as good/sensitive/quiet as the D50), then I would
definitely recommend the R26 of those 2 choices.

Noise specs here.as you can see, there is no comparison between the R26 and
H4n.the Roland is tons better/quieter.

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

Hope that helps.

Tim