Re: Motion sensor automated recording with a Sound devices 744t.

Subject: Re: Motion sensor automated recording with a Sound devices 744t.
From: rock_scallop
Date: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:46 pm ((PST))
Hi Daniel,=0D
Since it sounds like, from what Dan Dugan says, you would need to power you=
r SD recorder in stand-by mode anyway, so you might as well, as Peter Shute=
 mentioned, just record all night.  In fact, I would highly recommend recor=
ding all night, as there will likely be some important sounds ( as David Br=
inicomb suggests) before any motion is detected.  =0D
You might be surprised how easy it can be to narrow in on important sounds =
using a spectral (spectrogram) view tool such as what's included with Adobe=
 Audition or the free Audacity. I split long recordings into 1 hour tracks =
to make them manageable, and I find most sounds are discernible in a 10 min=
ute window.  =0D
 I get 24 hours with my SD 702 in 16/44.1 FLAC format on a 16 GB card and u=
sing a sled of 12 alkaline D cells. I f you use a 12 alkaline D cell sled, =
or what ever you might use for external powering, be very careful not to ex=
ceed the 18 V maximum of the recorder or you may end up with a costly repai=
r. A 10 or 11 cell sled would be safer, as the 12 cell seems to put it righ=
t to the limit. =0D
=0D
John Hartog