Re: Motion sensor automated recording with a Sound devices 744t.

Subject: Re: Motion sensor automated recording with a Sound devices 744t.
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:47 pm ((PST))
> I have a trick question and I thought I should ask it here. I have an opp=
ortunity to record some captive nocturnal animals in a breeding enclosure a=
nd require a way to start recording at night when motion is detected. The p=
lace I am collaborating with on have a motion sensor setup for their camera=
 which is what they use to observe them.

> I am trying to find out if anyone has done such a thing for any recorder =
I guess. The sound devices has a C1 remote adaptor for an external keyboard=
 which could possibly be modded to remotely record with a motion sensor con=
nection. That is my goal but the possibility I=E2=80=99m not sure of and wo=
uld have to record overnight until the battery runs out.

The Sound Devices accessory CL-1 includes logic connections that can be pro=
grammed for "remote roll" action. To run in standby all night you'd want to=
 have a big external battery. I use an IDX brand NP-L7S lithium-ion battery=
 pack, plugged into the Sound Devices accessory XL-NPH "NP Cup" adaptor. Th=
e recorder will switch to the battery on the back when the external battery=
 runs down.

How long you can run on one NP battery depends on the model of recorder, ho=
w many preamps are turned on, whether phantom power is used, whether the fr=
ont panel lighting is on (I use "stealth mode") and whether the hard drive =
is running or not. standing by with four or six channels on my 788T I get f=
our or five hours per battery. I got ten hours standing by with four channe=
ls on my 788T, lights off, phantom on, hard drive running.

-Dan (SD dealer)