Re: Program about my Parrot Speech Research

Subject: Re: Program about my Parrot Speech Research
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:05 am ((PDT))
Just a quick note about the confusing world of American public radio and TV=
 nomenclature. PBS is just a TV organization. There are no PBS radio statio=
ns. The public radio organization that produces national radio programs lik=
e  =93All Things Considered=94, =93Morning Edition=94, etc is NPR. WUSF is =
a Florida organization, part of the University of South Florida, that runs =
both a local TV station and a local radio station. It is affiliated with PB=
S to get some of its TV programs, and with NPR to get some of its radio pro=
grams.

StoryCorps is a separate organization that specializes in collecting oral h=
istories in a few permanent recording rooms around the country and with tra=
veling studios built into swell little Airstream trailers that criss-cross =
the nation.

http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/florida-matters-storycorps-st-petersburg

These are typically audio-only interviews, but some content from StoryCorps=
 makes it onto TV with cute visual animations added.

Some StoryCorps excerpts do air in the national versions of NPR programs. O=
thers may air just in the community where they were recorded, inserted by t=
he local station to replace part of the national feed from NPR. From the in=
fo Michael got from WUSF, it sounds like this may be an instance of the lat=
ter variety.

Apart from that, Michael: keep up the good research, and congrats on gettin=
g it on the air!

=97Flawn Williams

(ex NPR staff and still occasional contributor to public radio programs, ch=
eck out my recent radio pieces on birds and birders at Big Bend National Pa=
rk with Alex Chadwick at   http://birdnote.org/big-bend  .)

On Oct 26, 2014, at 4:31 AM,  wrote:

> 1. Program about my Parrot Speech Research
>    Posted by: "Michael Dalton"  mdaltonarielle
>    Date: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 am ((PDT))
>
> Part of an interview about my work was chosen by our local PBS station to=
 air at two times Monday. They are broadcasting a portion of an interview a=
bout my bird research conducted by my wife, Pat. See below.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: