Re: Olympus DM-620?

Subject: Re: Olympus DM-620?
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:11 pm ((PDT))
Would those solutions work for several days?=0D
=0D
The only solution I've come up with so far, other than a tent, is a portabl=
e shelter - a small collapsible crate mounted on a tripod, with a large pla=
stic lid placed over the top and covered with Lycra to hold it together. Bu=
t I'm not convinced of how waterproof it is, and it's a nuisance to carry a=
nd set up.=0D
=0D
I'd like to know how the mics on products like this are waterproofed:=0D
http://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/products/song-meter-sm2-birds=0D
=0D
Peter Shute=0D
=0D
Sent from my iPad=0D
=0D
On 24 Sep 2014, at 3:50 am, "Dan Dugan <=
.com> [naturerecordists]" <<naturere=
>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
Make a little umbrella out of hogs hair (filter material)?=0D
=0D
There's a rain-shedding cover made for blimps:=0D
=0D
http://www.remoteaudio.com/rainman/=0D
=0D
-Dan=0D
=0D
On Sep 23, 2014, at 4:25 AM, John Crockett <=
er.net> [naturerecordists] <<naturer=
>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
I just picked up the LS-7 at a very reasonable price. So far I am impressed=
 with its timer and sound activation features, but I have not yet tested it=
 outside.=0D
=0D
Does anyone know if there is a waterproof bag, like Aquapac etc, that is ac=
oustically transparent? Or other suggestions for a simple way to waterproof=
 this little recorder so it can be left in the field for several days?=0D
=0D
Many thanks.=0D
=0D
John=0D
=0D
=0D
John Crockett=0D
<>=0D
=0D
Let us live in harmony with Earth=0D
And all creatures=0D
That our lives may be a blessing=0D
=0D
On Sep 17, 2014, at 7:40 AM, <nrdavies.jim71=
@yahoo.com> [naturerecordists] wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
I have a DM-670 which is the same thing with more memory and a speaking hel=
per;) ( which can be turned off )=0D
=0D
You are right, these DM-6** units are very similar to the LS-3/7. The menu =
system is identical except for the very few missing options.=0D
=0D
The internal mics are about the same but they are a bit 'boxed-in' in this =
incarnation. From memory, I actually think the preamp noise of the 670 is l=
ower than the LS3, which was a bit high for nature and may be why they drop=
ped it.=0D
=0D
The one thing that's NOT the same is that there is no tripod screw at the b=
ase or anywhere on it.=0D
=0D
The best bit is that there are a lot of used DM-6**s on ebay from ex studen=
ts who had them for uni and didn't use them hardly at all in the end  becau=
se of very low hours face to face teaching :)  I got mine in perfect condit=
ion for =C2=A330 shipped from a seller who hadn't used it but had lost the =
USB cable.=0D
=0D
I'd say "grab one", they are a real steal on the second hand market right n=
ow.=0D
=0D
norman=0D
=0D